Saturday, May 18, 2013

What a Challenge!

Because I just love to sew, I attend meetings of a quilt guild.  Occasionally we take on a service project.  This time it will be a charity quilt, so one of the members came up with a way to get the quilt squares made.  Members were offered a challenge fabric fat quarter for designing a quilt square.  I decided to jump in and give it a try.  Here is the challenge fabric:
So yes it was a challenge.  With all the words and shapes in the design, it didn't seem to work with some of the traditional quilt patterns that would have cut it in to very small pieces.  To bring in fun and humor, I designed an owl similar to the one found in the challenge fabric.  I didn't want the square to become too dark and somber so I found a light blue print to lighten up the color scheme. I used the fusible applique method to add the owl and used a blanket stitch around all the pieces. 
I still had some of the challenge fabric left so I pieced two more squares to be donated for the charity quilt. I kept a little diagonal in each piece.

So what do you think?  Did I meet the challenge?

What are you creating?
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from my readers! So join in the fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...